The labor and delivery class went really well. I thought that by the end of the 5 1/2 hour class we would be totally freaked out. But I actually left feeling very prepared and informed. The videos were a bit much but necessary I suppose. I am definitely going to get the epidural but I want to use some other relaxation techniques prior to the epidural. The instructor said that you actually labor at home for several hours or more - until your contractions are about 5 minutes apart. She was saying that it's good to stay at home until you at least get to that point since it's a comfortable environment for you - and that the early contractions are very manageable. I am going to pull some things together to take with us that I think will help like lavender spray, a massage roller ball for my back, pillows from home, and Will's in the midst of making a relaxing mix for the ipod for labor day. We went to Barnes and Nobles today and I bought a book on Hypno Birthing. At the class yesterday they talked about this method and Spartanburg Regional actually offers a Hypno Birthing class. I really like the philosophies. So even though I don't want a natural birth I thought the method would be helpful with the first contractions at home and would allow me to hold out a little longer on the epidural. The book came with this relaxation cd that Will and I are going to start practicing at night. I have a breastfeeding class next week and then we have an Infant Care class the first part of October. I am starting to feel bigger and bigger by the day. I am amazed how much your body changes during pregnancy. I also have been having some numbness in my fingers and hands and lack of mobility. At my last doctor's visit I found out that I have carpal tunnel in both hands. The doctor said it's common in pregnant women. The only thing that you can really do is some hand exercises (which I've been doing) or get hand braces (which I'm holding out on). I do not want to be looking like Edward Scissorhands going to bed wearing the double hand braces. I feel like I have enough bed time gear with all the different types of pillows and vitamins and lotions I have around.
Post a Comment